Monday, October 24, 2011

The Lost Fountain by Peter Andrew Sacco


What if you could turn back Father Time and become younger? Noah, a 12-year old boy, and his two friends set out to find the fabled Fountain of Youth, believing it can save the leader's younger brother who is afflicted with Progeria disease (premature aging). Unbeknownst to the boys, however, they are in a race to find the fountain with a greedy archaeologist who is hot on their trail. With the ghost of Ponce de León on their side, the boys learn that if one truly believes, anything can be accomplished, and that even the most seemingly remote dream can be reached.
The Lost Fountain is an uplifting, unrelenting tale for anyone considering himself a possibility thinker. The story is a timely exposé offering hope and goodness to all ages, especially today's children and youth.

50% of the proceeds will be donated to The Progeria Research Foundation


After hearing about this book, I was very interested in learning more. Thankfully, I was able to speak with author Peter Andrew Sacco the amazing author and find out all about him and his book. Here is what he had to say:

1.    Are there any particular spots you like to go to when you write? 

I find that the spot where you write doesn't matter as much as the mental focus I have going in to writing that day as well as a couple of cups of Java do help! I can truly say that I have actually written 7 books and a couple of scripts as  well as a plethora of magazine articles at Starbucks. People always ask how can you concentrate there? Well, I find writing in solitude to be very mundane and feeling like you are in the land of the living inspires you. I also find I can bounce ideas off of the folks/patrons at Starbucks who I have come to know very well over the one I frequent the last 7 years. Interestingly, if I am stuck for developing characters I "people watch" and they give me ideas for characters. I also pay attention to different mannerisms and styles they wear and I incorporate them into my character development. 

For my crime/suspense thriller Jack or Jill, a large part of the plots location is in Niagara Falls. Furthermore, the criminal psychologist in the novel meets with the detective heading the case (who is also his love interest) at the Starbucks I write out of. So basically, I write about what I know so sometimes go to the places in the book and write from there. For example, in Jack or Jill, the hero of the story needs to solve the 1888 Jack the Ripper killings to solve the modern day killings in Niagara Falls, so writing from spots featured in the story makes it that much more real. Heads or Tails which is the second book in the series also takes in Niagara Falls, Canada, Niagara Falls, New York and Buffalo, as well as Hamilton and Toronto, so many of the plots sites are places I go to as well as write from.
I would also say I enjoy writing out back on the largest deck of the tropical rainforest I created in my back yard. Writing next to the pond brings peace and tranquility. However, I am only limited to writing there spring, summers and lately later into autumn with the great weather changes we have been having.

2.    "The Lost Fountain" addresses the effects and issues of Progeria. Does it have a particular significance to you? How do you go about researching these sort of topics? 

For me, I first saw the disease on television on a talk show. It was very heart-wrenching to see these young kids aging so quickly. They were pillars of courage and strength in my books and I developed an amazing respect for them. I was at Disney World in Florida waiting to go on a ride with a friend when I saw a child with Progeria. It touched me in a way I have never forgotten. You just want to reach out and hug them...hug them all. As you can see I am a hugger!

In terms of researching topics, Google searches are modern day magic! Having completed a Ph.D. in psychology, my early years researching for essays and projects entailed cruel, old school methods of tracking things down keeping you in libraries for days. Today, you can find what you want so fast and easy. It is amazing how many experts I have connected with on-line or on Facebook who are great sources of information.

3.    Where do you get your story ideas?
Great question! Often times I get them while I am meditating or out for long walks. Sometimes I will be at the gym working out and "bam" something comes to me and the proverbial light bulb goes on! I would also like to say that looking at people and their mannerisms will sometimes help develop characters in my mind so I have the character before the story and the story gets developed as the character evolves in my mind.

4. How do you choose your characters?
Another great question! I would say very carefully! I need to find characters that have great charm, charisma and can entertain. I believe a great story is paramount, but the characters have to fit into the story, develop the story and become one with the story. It is like an orchestra--lots of instruments that together make beautiful music to create a masterful finished piece. With that said, the characters, plots and settings create the overture for a masterpiece of a story. I am not saying that my stories are masterpieces, but I have been known to hold people's interests by the unique stories my characters tell and portray! In the end, I always choose characters who are willing to provide twists to my stories and do things outside of "character".

To Order Peter Sacco's book The Lost Fountain, Jack or Jill or more information about Progeria, click on the links.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book--I actually knew a boy who, sadly, passed away from this disease.

    ReplyDelete